Creamy, cheesy, and delicious…these crockpot chicken nachos are the perfect throw-together meal idea! All you need for the topping is some salsa, chicken, cream cheese, and onion!
Sometimes you just need a super quick meal that you can throw together and forget about. Well, these chicken tacos definitely fit the bill!
With only 4 main ingredients that go in the crockpot (plus a few spices) this is a great dump-and-go recipe.
Within a few hours, you have a creamy nacho topping that you can serve easily on top of tortilla chips!
Here is what you’ll need to make a batch of crockpot chicken nachos for your family:
Chicken – You’ll need two large chicken breasts for this recipe.
Cumin, Chili Powder, Salt, and Pepper – This is the spice blend we’ll rub over the chicken!
Salsa – I used La Victoria Suprema Salsa (mild), but you can use any salsa you have on hand. Just keep in mind that it will affect the flavor and texture of the final dish.
Cream cheese – It will add creaminess and even extra cheesiness! You’ll need 8 oz (1 block).
Yellow onion – We will mince the onion to yield 2/3 cup, then microwave it before adding to the crockpot so we don’t end up with crunchy half-cooked onions. (Did you know you can use this trick for any recipe that calls for onion in the crockpot?) 😉
Cheddar cheese – What are nachos without cheddar cheese?! Save this to add in at the very end.
Chips – Use any tortilla chips that you prefer.
Cilantro, green onions, avocado – for serving.
Serving and Storage
If you are eating these nachos for lunch, just serve them with the recommended toppings (cilantro, avocado, etc.) This is quick, easy, and delicious!
However, if you are making this for dinner, you may want to serve something alongside it. I’m thinking rice and beans would be the perfect side dish.
To store leftovers, simply transfer them to an airtight container (just the topping—do not add chips).
When you’re ready to eat again, warm over low heat in a small pot, or reheat in the microwave. Add the chips at the last possible second to avoid them getting soggy!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken Nachos
Here are the steps to follow when making this meal:
Step 1: Add Chicken
Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Add them to the crockpot.
Step 2: Add Onion
Next, mince an onion until you have 2/3 cup.
Put the onion in a small bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Then, add to crockpot.
Step 3: Add the Rest:
Add the salsa, then place the cream cheese block on top of everything.
Cover the crockpot and cook until the chicken registers 165 degrees.
I find that the cooking time varies greatly from crockpot to crockpot. Mine took 2 hours on low, or 1 hour on high.
However, please check the internal temp on your chicken with a meat thermometer. That is your most accurate guide.
Step 4: Shred Chicken
Once your chicken is done, take it out of the crockpot. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes. While it is resting, use a whisk to combine all ingredients left in the crockpot.
Then, shred the chicken with two forks and add back to the crockpot.
Step 5: Add Toppings
For the cheddar cheese, you have two options.
First of all, you can portion out chips on plates, add the chicken topping, put shredded cheese on top, and microwave until melted. This method is the fastest and it works great.
Second of all, you can add the grated cheese directly to the topping in the crockpot, and let it continue to cook until melted.
This works too, but it took longer for the cheese to melt than I expected (20+ minutes).
More Easy Dinner Recipes:
- Sausauge Gnocchi Soup
- Crockpot Garlic Parm Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Tomato Corn Soup
- Creamy Ham & Bean Soup
Recipe Tips & Questions
Can I use rotel tomatoes?
Yes, rotel tomtatoes will work great in this recipe! You can sub them for half of the salsa, or all of it. The green chili in them adds great flavor! Just make sure to measure to make sure you don’t
Will this work as a taco filling?
Sure, you can use this creamy chicken as a taco or burrito filling as well! Just add to tortillas along with your other favorite fillings (beans, rice, cheese, etc.)
Do I have to use tortilla chips?
Tortilla chips are the most classic chips to use for nachos, but you can definitely get creative! For example, some people like to use doritos!
Crockpot Chicken Nachos
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt u0026 pepper
- 1.5 cup salsa
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2/3 cup minced onions
- 1.5 cup cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Cilantro, green onions, avocado (for serving)
- Rub chicken breasts with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Place in the crockpot.
- Mince one onion to yield 2/3 cup. Place in a small bowl and microwave for one minute. Transfer to crockpot.
- Add salsa to crockpot and mix with onions. Put cream cheese on top of everything.
- Cook on low for 2 hours or on high for 1 hour (cooking time may vary depending on your crockpot. It is done when the chicken registers 165 degrees).
- Take the chicken out and let it rest at least 5 minutes. Then, shred on a plate with 2 forks.
- Mix the salsa and cream cheese together well (I use a whisk—it will take a little bit but just keep stirring and they will combine!) Then add chicken back in and stir.
- CHEESE OPTION 1: Portion out on top of chips. Top with cheese, then microwave for 20 seconds or until cheese has melted.
- CHEESE OPTION 2: Add cheddar cheese to the crockpot and cover. Cook for 20 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve on top of tortilla chips with cilantro, green onions, and avocado!
- For salsa, I used ______ mild. You can use any salsa you have on hand; just keep in mind that its flavors will affect the final dish.
- Microwaving the onions before going into the crockpot will make sure they melt into the sauce, rather than being crunchy!
- Melting the cheese in the crockpot was interesting. It worked okay, but the cheese didn’t melt as quickly as I thought it would. I would probably recommend the microwave option.
Crockpot chicken nachos are one of the very easiest lunch ideas! Just throw all the ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and you’ve got a meal by noon! I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe! Make sure to check out Sheet Pan Chicken & Zucchini or Pesto Chicken Sliders, or Creamy Taco Soup next!